A high fiber / high protein meal from Dr. Raymond Kordonowy.
Always searching for ways to optimize nutrition, I love to experiment in the kitchen. This recipe is a result of that experimentation. It utilizes a grain that I recently discovered and fell in love with– quinoa, which is very high in protein and fiber. My creation may need some adjustments though- feel free to add more or less of any ingredient until it suits your taste. Combining healthy recipes like this with a regular supplement routine is the first step toward a long and healthy life.
- 1⁄2 Cup northern white beans
- 1 medium/small onion.
- 1-2 cloves of minced garlic.
- 1-2 carrots.
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil.
- 3-4 cubes/teaspoons chicken, beef bullion or vegetable stock.
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1/4 cup barley (pearled or precooked/5 minute).
- 1/8 red pepper flakes.
- 4 cups of water.
- Fresh green onions chopped (optional).
- -Soak the 1⁄2 cup of northern white beans overnight. Rinse and drain before proceeding with the recipe
- -Dice the onion, mince the garlic cloves, and slice the carrots
- -In a 4-5 quart saucepan add 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the carrots, garlic and onion and sauté until onions become clear. Add the presoaked beans. Add 3-4 cubes of chicken or beef bullion (dehydrated vegetable stock could be replaced at 3-4 tsp). Add 1/8 red pepper flakes and combine until vegetables and beans are coated.
- -Add 4 cups of water and bring to a boil. Simmer, covered appx 20-25 minutes. If uncooked barley is used add it when boil begins (1/4 cup).
- -After 20-25 minutes simmering add 1/2 cup quinoa. Simmer another 20 minutes. If precooked barley is used, add it (1/4 cup) 5 minutes before simmer is finished. Beans should be tender at this point and the quinoa will have expanded to a light fluffy grain. Serve as a side dish/carbohydrate exchange
- -Add some chopped green onions at time of serving for additional flavor (opt)
One thought on “Northern White Beans with Quinoa and Barley”
Reblogged this on Inspiration for Perspiration and commented:
This looks GREAT!!! Thank you 🙂
Comments are closed.